Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

M&M's Birthday Party

Friday, October 19, 2007
Well, first off, yes, I'm slack. But I promise there's a photo of the cake. If I promise to share will you forgive me?

See, it all started when I stupidly left the kids birthday books on the table after I'd been looking for something to do for M&M's birthday. And she found them. And she wanted a butterfly. Soooo, off I trudge to the shops in this shop-forsaken town, and blow me down, find a heart shaped tin. Except it's one of those rubber things. That I've never used before. Successfully anway. I also saw next to it a set of 4 small, heart shaped tin's (made of actual metal) which I picked up because a) it was $7, b) it was small and cute and c) because it had a picture of cheesecake on the packageing. Yeah that's me, you can get me to buy anything if it's small and cute and has a picture of food on it. Give me a break, I'm pregnant remember.

So the time came on Friday night to bake the heart shaped cakes for the wings. In the rubber tin. Which didn't work. In fact it was a miserable failure. After a quick dash to Woolworths for 4 packets of cake mix (it's nearly 9pm by this stage) I decide to make "little butterfly's" using the little cake tins. Excellent call.
By 1am I had enough cakes to do 4 butterflies. ahem.

Saturday night was the night I used, for the first time, premade icing. Now, I don't know if you know this about me, but I'm rather short. As in, 155cm short. 5 ft. Our kitchen bench has been designed for someone, say, 4-5 inches taller than me.

So imagine me, 10pm at night, in the daggiest clothes I can find (playing with food colouring here) in my favourite, lime green, 4 inch heels (is that enough detail for you Kelley, or do you need more?), rolling premade icing on the kitchen bench. Hubby thought I looked a sight too.

Anway, I think by midnight I was done, and here is one of the finished butterflies:

The birthday girl was quite chuffed - even more so when I sent 3 butterflies to daycare on Monday to share with all the kids there. The funniest part is I still haven't given her the birthday presents, and she's got $50 from Oma to spend, which I might put away somewhere until after Christmas. Or else buy her some new clothes...

5 comments:

  1. River said...

    The butterfly looks lovely. Almost too nice to eat. I've never used pre-made icing. Was it easy to work with? I haven't had to make birthday cakes in yonks. My "baby" is 26........For birthdays now we get something from the cheesecake shop or the pavlova shop. For really special occasions we go to Cocolat which used to be called Death By Chocolate. The grandchildren still get home made cakes from the birthday cake book but I don't make them. My oldest daughter does them and the oldest granddaughter is learning from her. They still have the original birthday cake book that I bought when my girl was about to turn one.

    October 19, 2007 at 2:02 PM  

  2. Kez said...

    That looks awesome! Well done!

    (BTW I'm about the same height as you so I *completely* relate!!)

    October 19, 2007 at 4:11 PM  

  3. River said...

    Heh, join the club. I am also 5ft. nothing. All of my kids are taller than me. My granddaughter is taller than me. At 13 she is 5ft. 5inches already.

    October 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM  

  4. Anonymous said...

    Love the cake!

    As for the shoes.... pointy toe? Strappy?

    Come on woman DETAILS!!!!!


    I am still unable to wear shoes and the weather is getting warmer and I wont be able to wear my boots....


    Oh someone please hold me.....

    October 21, 2007 at 10:14 PM  

  5. Anonymous said...

    Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can reveal that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be considering other options.
    to the article there is still a question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with issue of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=avg internet security 8.93a.1293 ?
    I noticed the catch-phrase you have in the offing not used. Or you functioning the dreary methods of promotion of the resource. I have a week and do necheg

    February 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment