Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Is it Christmas already?

Thursday, October 11, 2007
As organised people all over the blogosphere start to deck the halls and play Christmas carols (ok I don't know that they're going that far), my attention has been turned to my decided lack of planning this year. Because our house is going on the market in 3 weeks (eek!) I have no idea where we'll be spending Christmas.

Hubby's family are notorious for their lack of planning. Which, as a result, makes me look like an over organised Martha Stewart. Ok, maybe not that bad, but I'm sure that's what they think of me.

So, what are we doing for Christmas? Traditionally we would head down to my family in the weeks preceeding Christmas, and then make a mad dash home between the family Christmas down there, and Kiki's birthday on the 22nd of December. Several things this year look to be preventing it: 1. The family Christmas looks to be actually ON Kiki's birthday, 2. Hubby has next to no holidays left after our trip to the UK and 3. We could possibly be, I don't know, MOVING in the weeks immediately prior to Christmas. Spread Joy and Laughter to your fellow man. Or something.

Whilst it is sad that I probably won't be seeing my family this Christmas, I can't help but feel relieved that all I have to think about is moving, and arranging something moderately festive for food. In fact, that's probably the easiest part of the whole deal. Traditions are wonderful at times.

Kin's family's traditional Christmas foods:

Christmas Eve
Traditional Christmas Eve fare was started one Christmas when the dear in-laws were visiting, and Hubby and Father-in-Law headed off to the fish & chip shop on Christmas eve, arriving home bearing a couple of kilo's of prawns. When searching through the freezer for something nice to have for dessert, I came across some Mango Weis Bars. Thus a tradition was born: Prawns & Mango Wies Bars

Christmas Morning
The Christmas morning tradition has been refined over the years, starting with a full cooked breakfast, then pancakes, and now onto our favourite: Blueberry & Cream Cheese Crepes I cannot describe how delicious these are. Sweet, sour, bitter, savoury. I dunno, but damn they're good.

Christmas Dinner
Christmas dinner depends a lot on who/where we eat. When it is hosted by us it consists of cold ham, cold turkey and cold chicken, served with cold salads like coleslaw, potato salad and a green/italian salad. Other incarnations have seen seafood platters, BBQ's or even Aunty Jenny's awesome entertaining skills on display. Complete with $300 bottle of champagne. Ah yes, Aunty Jenny's Christmas lunches are by far the most extravagent of my family. I only wish I could convince her to cook for me more often.

Over the coming weeks I hope to share some of our other family Christmas Traditions, if for no other reason than I probably won't get to experience them myself this year, due to the move.

8 comments:

  1. Unknown said...

    Christmas is quicly sneaking up on us!! This will be my first Christmas in yrs without seeing my parents and instead we'll see most of J's family ~ it'll certainly be different for us.

    In the past we've always had seafood with my parents either on Christmas Eve or the night of Christmas Day.

    J's family do the traditional lunch here in sub tropical Qld so no doubt I'll be sweltering!!!

    Hope you know where you'll be for Christmas by the end of November so you can plan something :)

    October 11, 2007 at 9:44 AM  

  2. River said...

    Huh! $300 for a bottle of fermented grape juice.
    Shamefully, I haven't done a thing yet towards christmas. Usually I start lay-bying gifts straight after easter but this year has kind of gotten away from me. Looks like gift vouchers all round........

    October 11, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

  3. Sephyroth said...

    I caught your link to me on Technorati. ;)

    As it happens, we're already hearing ads for different Christmas services here; we got one of the local store's toy catalogs over the weekend, and they're getting their big section ready to open Saturday morning.

    Just now I heard a commercial for a company spruiking fake trees; I've heard it a couple of times, but hearing it this time inspired me to do something - comment here. ;)

    Sephyroth
    http://www.sephyroth.net

    October 11, 2007 at 10:01 PM  

  4. Kin said...

    Ali - it can be tough not seeing family when you're used to it. This will be the second one we've missed, the first being when Kiki was born 3 years ago. Enjoy a North Queensland Christmas!

    River - the $300 bottle was really really nice. Not that I'd pay that money myself - I personally prefer the $11 bottle of Strawberry flavoured champagne ;) And it's not too late to layby, I'm starting to pick up the kids presents I wrote about earlier from Big W. Now I hope mother in law will let me stash them at her place...

    Sephy - nice to meet you! I must admit I've been reading your blog for a while, but haven't got round to leaving a comment (I don't think...) Yours and Snos's posts are very helpful. Don't be a stranger and enjoy your Christmas shopping!

    October 11, 2007 at 10:08 PM  

  5. Anonymous said...

    I'm sure you'll have a lovely Christmas no matter where you are, but I do pray that you'll have an idea of where you will be so that you can make some kind of plan.

    October 11, 2007 at 10:24 PM  

  6. Unknown said...

    Where has this year gone?!?! Hope you can plan better soon :) Hope the house sells quick for more than you ask for it too...

    I suspect we are doing something simple with just us and the kids...

    October 12, 2007 at 4:16 PM  

  7. Kin said...

    Jo special Christmas's are nice just with immediate family. Of course it seems that way to us after my families insanity.

    Thanks for your comment Precious - I'm pretty comfortable at this stage with my lack of plan, but I do hope the house sells quickly. I've never had any property take more than two weeks before. I think I may be in for a longer wait this time.

    October 12, 2007 at 5:55 PM  

  8. Anonymous said...

    Lalalalala I'm not listening and burying my head in the sand.

    I DONT WANT TO KNOW!!!

    Normally by now I am pretty much planned, but this year I haven't even planned Boo's Harry Potter extravaganza in 2 weeks....

    So don't mention the C word to me over the next few weeks or my head will explode..... again.....

    October 13, 2007 at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment