Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Washing Day

Wednesday, November 14, 2007
I wrote a post two months ago about a weekly washing day and I've been meaning to update you all on how it's going.


While there have been a few hiccups, generally it works well. On Tuesdays I wash 3 or 4 loads of clothes, depending on how feral the children have been. On Thursdays I wash either the kids sheets or our sheets (alternate weeks) and due to the house being on the market, Saturday morning now gets the last load of towels (I wash all our bath towels, hand towels and bath mats the morning of the open so we have fresh towels out).


Of course, with two swimming lessons a week, that's an extra two loads of swimming washing, one on Wednesday and one on Saturday. But because I don't get "behind" in my washing, this doesn't phase me. In fact, today, being laundry day, I had 3 loads to do (being as how last week I did the washing on Thursday due to numerous doctors appointments on Tuesday) and was looking around for more. I know I don't have to worry about clothes for a week, and it means if an extra load needs doing (sheets or towels or whatever) it doesn't mess up my system, or make me feel behind. I feel more prepared and able to jump in and get it done.


In reality there are only 3 days a week I don't wash, and I'm sure this will change when #3 arrives (what with all those lovely cloth nappies I'm slowly accumulating) but it at least gives me a starting point.

6 comments:

  1. River said...

    With the hot weather here you could maybe save a few loads of washing by letting the kids get around in minimal clothing at home (e.g.knickers and thongs) then when they get grubby just hose them off.........

    November 14, 2007 at 4:33 PM  

  2. Kin said...

    That is very true River, and something I often forget. Of course two girly girls and all they want to do is dress up. The weather's been shocking for the last month. Either far too hot to venture outside (or spend any time outside) or raining, or like today, cold and rainy. But I might have to think on that...

    November 14, 2007 at 4:48 PM  

  3. The Tin House said...

    Kin, I haven't got enough of my mcn's to wash every second day...so I'm doing one load of nappies every day, and usually at least one other load. We're cutting down on sheet washing and I hang the towels out every day to try and keep them fresher for a bit longer but hell - this washing game is enough to drive me around the twist. My boys (dirty, grubby, messy....) seem to attract dirt like little magnets. It's a rare day they can wear their clothes two days in a row!!

    November 14, 2007 at 10:05 PM  

  4. Anonymous said...

    I seriously dislike laundry...it never seems to end! Good Luck!

    November 15, 2007 at 1:25 AM  

  5. Anonymous said...

    I do 3 loads A DAY!!!!

    Teenager girls, shite and toothpaste boy and sweaty husband.... and the towels that multiply in the laundry.

    November 15, 2007 at 7:35 PM  

  6. Kin said...

    Kelley! 3 loads a DAY?? Why aren't your girls doing at least some of that?? Bah.

    Although I do notice that when I wash every day I do two loads a day, and then we would be adding soon the extra load of cloth nappies, and bang, there's the 3!

    Lisa, I plan to slowly build up until I have enough to wash every second day. Maybe a pipe dream, I dunno. We'll have to have a mcn discussion soon. So far I'm just stockpiling peapods for everyday use. I have 3 LOL.

    November 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment