Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Put it in the Spaghetti Bolognaise!!

Monday, July 2, 2007
An ad tonight during Torchwood (Capt'n Jack - yum yum) raised my hackels a bit. The ad was for Metamucil, a fibre enrichment product. From memory, the gist of the ad seemed to be, if your kids won't eat veggies, simply add some Metamucil to the bolognaise, and they'll get all the fibre they need.

Am I the only mother in the world who gets veggies into her kids by grating them up in Spaghetti Bolognaise? Honestly, a couple of carrots, a zucchini, mushrooms, capsicum, celery. They won't know it's there, and even if they do, they'll eat it anyway, because it's spaghetti bolognaise! Grated veggies cook down to nothing, and while my kids occasionally complain of "crunchy" bits (celery) in the sauce, they eat it!

We've gone one better though, we buy "Wiggles" spaghetti (curly fettuchini) which means we can put whatever we want on top of it, and the kids will eat it because it's "Wiggles" spaghetti.

Honestly, if it's that hard to get the kids to eat veggies, yeah sneak it in that way, but damnit, try subterfuge with REAL veggies first.

Where do you hide veggies in your kids food?

3 comments:

  1. pacmandogbert said...

    I have to put in a good word for Metamucil. It is one of three life-enhancing products I depend on. The other being Lactaid (since I'm lactose intolerant) and finally, Excedrin. It doesn't matter how many salads or fruit I eat, Metamucil is wonderful - just don't overdo it - once a day is just fine.

    July 4, 2007 at 11:51 AM  

  2. Kin said...

    Absolutely - I depend on it during that horribly post pregnancy phase when I just can't eat right and things just don't *ahem* happen.

    I just think it should be a last resort for kids, rather than second, if you know what I mean?

    July 4, 2007 at 9:57 PM  

  3. River said...

    I also put veggies in spaghetti sauce, and also in meatloaf, meat pies and homemade pasties, (actually one huge pasty, sliced and served like pie). I also made veggie patties from leftover mashed potato (I planned ahead here and cooked extra potatoes) to which I added anything that would grate, mixed the whole thing with beaten eggs and packaged breadcrumbs (or cornflake crumbs) shape these into patties, refrigerate for a while then fry till golden brown and serve with tomato sauce. and maybe a chop or sausage on the side.

    September 3, 2007 at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment