Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

My recipe magazine habit

Thursday, August 16, 2007
There. I admitted it. I have a habit of collecting recipe magazines. It's a private shame, although one I happily share with my mother-in-law. Our habit is so bad we still must buy 3 magazines a month each, all the same.

What's worse is that I lose them almost immediately to Hubby. Yes, that's right, any cooking magazine or recipe book (a WHOLE other post) that gets brought into this house is comandeered almost immediately by the man of the house.

By the time I get the magazine back, he's already picked out some recipes he wants to try, and I go through and add a couple of easy ones to the menu plan for a few weeks. What's completely rediculous about this system, is that in 2-3 months, EVERY SINGLE RECIPE in these magazines will appear on the most awesome website in the world. Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but it's very cool. Taste.com combines all the recipes from about 7 magazines, and is easy to search and categorises the recipes, of course my favourite search is "budget".

There is a great mix of basic, on the table in 30 minutes recipes, along with more complex dinner party menus that take up to 3 days to prepare. Christmas, Easter and other holidays are not forgotten either, as well as simple recipes for the kids to help with. The print facility is awesome, and the pages I print (even in my recipe/display folder) last even longer than the torn pages from the dozens of magazines still lying about my house.

Breaking this habit is going to be hard, but the $10 a month I save will be worth it. Maybe I could treat myself to another magazine to replace it... it would be cheaper, I would still save money, and satisfy a need somewhere. I think I need to start buying Money Magazine again.

What's your guilty habit? I won't tell, honest. If you haven't noticed you can now email me directly if you don't feel like leaving a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Kez said...

    Why have I not found that site (Taste.com) before????! Thanks :)

    August 16, 2007 at 3:22 PM  

  2. Kez said...

    BTW - I just awarded you the Nice Matters Award - check my blog :)

    August 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM  

  3. lightening said...

    Hey Kin,
    You're going to be busy cos I just nominated you for the Schmooze award. :-)

    August 16, 2007 at 4:40 PM  

  4. Marcia Francois said...

    Handbags!!!! That's my guilty obsession :)

    Organising queen and
    Take charge blogs

    August 21, 2007 at 9:31 PM  

  5. River said...

    My guilty habit is magazines that have home plans in them, especially the upmarket kind, you know, those fancy houses that would take an army of maids to keep clean, I also love simpler plans right down to the cabin in the woods type and the farmhouse in the country type of thing. I play around with the plans, altering this, enlarging that, adding windows etc. I even go to the extent of planning furniture layout, colour schemes and the garden layout. Crazy, huh.

    September 3, 2007 at 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment