Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Homeschooling for Dummies

Sunday, August 12, 2007
First off let me say, I will not be homeschooling my children. Period. But after SIX MONTHS of my eldest genius daughter nagging me senseless asking me to teach her how to read and write, I couldn't really put her off for the eighteen months until she starts school.

So I went searching over the dozens of sites I have in my favourites, and found a few useful things. I'm starting slow. About 4 x 5-10 minutes a day on various things, initially: letter recognition, number recognition, pre-writing readiness tracing, shapes, patterns and cutting and pasting.

Because she and the other little miss go to daycare on Friday (where I'm assured she is also getting pre-writing and pre-reading small group work) and the fact she was bored very enthusiastic today, I decided we would do 5 days a week, Sunday through Thursday. Sunday is a very quiet day here, and something to focus her might mean she'll leave her little sister alone. Hey, let me dream all right?

Meanwhile I haven't forgotten the little miss, who no doubt will want to be involved as well. Dozens of sites provide free printables for colouring, and as the left handed toad little miss seems rather creative, I plan to involve her further in things such as colour recognition, and cutting and pasting. I have also planned a couple of "fun" sessions a week, with craft, music and cooking varying our days.

Now, if I could just find the motivation apart from the constant nagging to stick with it, and stay on top of the house, washing and my own study, I'd be set.

3 comments:

  1. Kez said...

    Lol - I hate to say it Kin, but it sounds to me like you're homeschooling :) Have fun - and let us know how you get on! You can be the guinea pig for me :)

    August 12, 2007 at 8:23 PM  

  2. Kin said...

    Shhh! The second she's legally able to enter a school she's gone! I have grand plans for my education when the two older ones start school.

    August 12, 2007 at 8:47 PM  

  3. River said...

    By all means involve the younger daughter as well, she will learn as much as the elder one and you might find they are both reading to themselves at about the same time. My younger two(the baby wasn't born yet) learnt to read by following along the pages as my eldest one practised her first grade reading. Both of them were reading competently when they started school.

    September 3, 2007 at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment