Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

It's nights like these

Thursday, August 23, 2007
I get a glimse of what being the parent of a teenager is like.

Since I've known him my Hubby has been a volunteer in emergency services, specifically marine emergency services. Now while I've known him 10 years, lived with him for 7 years and been married for 6 years, I never get used to, or comfortable with the late night call outs. Granted tonight has been different. Two in one night is rare.

The thing is, apart from quick jobs, like someone running out of fuel, or rescuing people from boats that have run aground, most jobs can take a while, and often happen in less than favourable conditions.

I'm not a huge fan of the beach, or water, really, so I tend to stay away. And I probably shouldn't watch the news either, because tonight I saw that the wind is picking up here, and I noticed last time I drove near the water, a large number of boats in the bay. Probably the most I've ever seen when there hasn't been a cyclone bearing down on us. I'm guessing it's pretty rough out there. And my Hubby's out in it.

I know they have a great boat, and I know Hubby knows his boats, but it's one of those times you think "now I know how my parents felt". And feel bad for them. And me, because you know in 15 years I'll probably be lying in this same bed, hopefully with Hubby beside me, wondering where the girls are, and what they're doing. And I'll not be able to sleep until they're home. Just like now I can't sleep until Hubby's home.

3 comments:

  1. Unknown said...

    I hope your hubbie came home safely last night ~ I know what you mean about worrying. I used to be like that when my hubbie was a submariner ~ when we was at see. It's because we love them so much :)

    August 23, 2007 at 7:32 AM  

  2. Kez said...

    I really admire anyone that works in a rescue role, especially as a volunteer. Thanks heaps to him.

    I hope his night wasn't too bad.

    August 23, 2007 at 7:46 AM  

  3. Kin said...

    Thanks Ali and Kez :) He got home around 2am, so not too bad. He's still sleeping though. Think I might go join him, especially while the kids are occupied.

    August 23, 2007 at 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment