Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Birthday parties

Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Well, it's getting to be that time of the year again, in October will start the great end of year birthday rush, which will now follow through until February when the little bean (ok, not so little bean now I guess) makes his/her entrance.

First up is Miss nearly 4! I can't believe my baby is so big. While cleaning out the garage on the weekend we found all the pictures of my assorted birthday parties, and let me tell you, this kid is the image of me, if not in looks, then obviously in personality and style. Even the same tragic obsession with Strawberry Shortcake I had at her age. As I looked further back I found photos of me that prove I'm not insane when I look at Miss 2.5 and feel like I'm looking in a mirror. I might even share them one day.

But back to the important aspect of planning birthday parties for little people. We have a rule which hopefully will only last until their 12th birthday, that states however old you turn, you can have that many friends to your party. This year that makes it 4 kids, plus my two, plus parents, grandparents and assorted other family friends. I'm thinking about 20-24 people. Can you imagine if I said she could have 6 people??

Anyway, we're thinking 2 hours was enough last year, maybe 2 or 2.5 again this year. With a theme. Oh I'm going to love this. Both my girls, and apparently any other girl I know between the ages of 2 and 6, are obsessed with Dora the Explorer, and Miss nearly 4 has asked for a Dora cake. Soooo, I'm thinking of planning a Dora expidition. I've watched enough DVD's to know the format. Problem, someone hands them the solution, they check the map, remember the things to do on the way, then off they go to face 3 challenges along the way - but don't forget Swiper the Fox! I figure that could take them a good 20 minutes. Which only leaves 1 hour and 40 minutes to fill. Last year we did some great activities like beading (even the token male got into it making jewellery for his sister and mother), dancing (freeze), pass the parcel, decorating cupcakes, before the culmination of the party and presentation of the cake. Dead on 2 hours. Anyone would think I'd planned it.

Of course plenty of food in there as well, although not too many lollies, which I think the parents were greatful for.

Well, only one of the kids who was here last year will be here again this year, so I guess I can recycle the same old activities as well! Unless someone can come up with other activities to do....?

4 comments:

  1. Kez said...

    I have a Dora fan here too! I almost decked one of the kids at preschool the other day that was teasing him saying Dora was for girls :( He also wears a Hi-5 hat - strange boy my son ;)

    August 22, 2007 at 7:31 PM  

  2. Snoskred said...

    Hey,

    Thanks for commenting on my blog! ;)

    I totally had a Strawberry Shortcake obsession too. If only I could go back in time to the days when a strawberry scented doll was the be all and end all! ;)

    Snoskred
    http://www.snoskred.org/

    August 22, 2007 at 9:46 PM  

  3. Kin said...

    Kez - Dora does seem to be universal, male and female alike. I have to say my FIL can tolerate it much better than I can. Although I do love to see my girls "playing" Dora, they even take turns to be Dora, Boots and Swiper, which I think is lovely.

    Snos - thanks for stopping by :) The strawberry shortcake obsession was truly my finest hour as far as obsessions go (although Hubby would argue the collection of Buffy DVD's a close race). I had paintings, dolls, curtains, doona cover, pillows, dolls, even a dress. I am NOT sharing those photos.

    August 23, 2007 at 1:33 AM  

  4. River said...

    My younger daughter also had the strawberry shortcake stuff, she took the little doll to school in her pocket every day for almost a year. As for birthdays, in our house the birthday child got to choose the meals for the day in lieu of parties which we couldn't afford until we finally settled down in Adelaide and I went back to work after the youngest started school.

    September 1, 2007 at 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment