Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Our Local Library

Wednesday, June 27, 2007
For those who don't know, I live in a rather small town, something in the order of 5,000 people. Ok, it's not that small, but when you all but grow up in a city, it's a small, small town.

Our local library is an excellent example. We share a single librarian with an adjoining town. As a result 5 out of the 6 people who work there usually aren't able to exactly answer your questions. BUT that doesn't mean it's a waste of time answering.

Last Monday I asked a lady about books for children about new babies. We had a look, but couldn't find any. She said she would keep an eye out for me.

On Friday I recieved a notice from the library that I had two books on reserve. Confused at first, closer inspection revealed that the lady had asked the librarian, tracked down these books and placed them on reserve for me.

Every Monday we go to the library (if the children are behaving) and listen to storytime, and then choose our books (two each for the week, and if the girls have been good, a DVD). We then get some kind of art/craft activity related to the theme of storytime that day. It then goes in the craft box for later in the week if the kids get bored. It also means we can bring up again the themes from Monday later in the week.

If you haven't been to your local library lately, I strongly suggest you check it out. Despite the lack of classics like Austin and Bronte at my library, the staff are helpful and will go out of their way to get anything they can for me. Plus they entertain my children for half an hour. Bonus!

0 comments:

Post a Comment